Tuesday, August 31, 2010

California Girl

So I keep putting off mentioning our California trip because I hate writing every detail of our trips so I'll just mention the important parts.  We actually flew out to Arizona to visit Justin's grandparents and aunt in Prescott for a couple days before we headed out to the reunion.  We spend some great time with aunt Patrice and with the grandparents even though Grandpa gave us all a scare and almost kicked the bucket with a SVT attack.  Thank heaven he recovered! We ate good food, went on some hikes, drove through the beautiful desert and caught up on each others' families.

Then we caught a flight out to San Diego and spend the next five nights in an old FEMA trailer on the beach at Camp Pendelton.  The location was perfect, but it was like we were back in a mission apartment with the worst government issue beds ever. You could feel every spring through the bed and we almost cut ourselves every time we rolled over.  No kidding. We spent a lot of time at the beach, drove around some really beautiful neighborhoods, ate fish tacos whenever possible, tried surfing and actually got up! Woo hoo! And visited with some friends we haven't seen in a while.  We spent a really nice evening with the Ohrn family and Justin and I couldn't believe that their two boys were more energetic and out of control than Henry.  We were shocked! He couldn't have had more fun with those adorable boys.  We ended up renting a boat for an hour or so and ate fish tacos in the boat as we went one mile per hour around the harbor.

The next day we invited Justin's other friend Alex to come surfing with us and it was fun to see him after the last time we got together when I was pregnant with Henry. I don't think he's ever seen me not pregnant or fat! We missed his wife and kids!  Hopefully we'll see them sometime in the near future.

We got our family photos taken by Justin's sister, which I can't wait to see and spend one really boring and painful day at Legoland.  This is the second time we've been so close to a Disney park and didn't go.  Argh.  Henry liked it, but we spent most of our time letting them play on what I would describe as a Lego playground with Lego building stations so I didn't think it was worth $50 each to play with Legos.  The lines for the good rides were 90 minutes long and what 4 and 2 year old can wait that long? Not mine!  I would have rather used that money to buy Henry a massive set of Legos(not that we could have taken them home with the baggage fees.  We only had one 50lb bag for all five of us.  Can you imagine? haha.)

The best part was watching the kids interact with each other and get to know one another.  I thought the dynamic was great because Henry liked being the oldest and in charge of things and when one of his younger cousins were napping, the other wasn't all alone ever because Henry doesn't nap anymore so everyone always had Henry to play with.  He enjoyed the company of his two boy cousins, Gabe and Colton who are both around 3 years old.

One of the most fun days was the day we spent the morning in La Jolla, which was real estate eye candy and then met the family to go to the Mormon Batallion Monument that was just opened in January.  Then we walked around the Old Town in the area and ate awesome tortillas and enjoyed the surroundings.  Oh, and I seriously love the trees in California.  I couldn't stop staring at them.

That's all I have to say about our trip. I wish we would have celebrated Bea's Birthday a little while we were there, but I guess no one thought of it.

4 comments:

Thayer said...

I thought Justin and Bea were holding Clementine in the picture with Grandpa McGregor, then I realized it was a tiny doll and that Clementine is much bigger in real life....

I can't believe you didn't like Legoland. My kids are dying to go, hopefully this winter.

The Muse said...

I'm sorry about Bea's birthday! With so many immediate family and stepfamily, I haven't even tried to memorize the nieces and nephews' birthdays as well. So sorry! But we had a great time!

Lynn said...

Sorry you didn't like Lego Land but since we paid for it, we thought it would be ok and half the price of Disneyland. You all left by the 21st or sooner. Alta's birthday was the 13, Bea's the 23. Since no one did much on Alta's real birthday but a cake late before her bedtime, I thought making a party for Bea when it was not her birthday yet would seem uneven. It was not forgotten, just not her real birthday. Next time we should do like the Bradshaws and have a big summer birthday party. Then Alta, Gabe, Bea, Kaitlin and Stefanie can all celebrate together. What fun!! Let's do that in the future! It is tough learning this grandparent thing. There are no rule books. You all have to teach us. Bradshaws have been at it a long time so I need to confer with them in the future!

Amelia Hohl said...

I guess I'm kind of sensitive about the Birthday thing because every year we have our family reunion in Tahoe and it always falls on someone's Birthday since there are so many October Birthdays in our family but we always just celebrate that one Birthday even though mine is always like a couple days after that and I always thought it was odd not to say Happy Birthday to everyone. I didn't want a party, just a mention.