Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter/Earth Day petal dresses

I, of course, put off making an Easter dress until last minute and since I couldn't order any cute fabrics online due to time I had to resort to JoAnn for their less than stellar selection of fabrics.  I usually wonder around for hours trying to put a few fabrics together and never feeling satisfied in the end.  This time, however, I hit the jackpot.  I walked up to a rounder that had only green and brown fabrics on it, which was what I was searching for because I just had to make a very earthy and organic looking dress for my friend Christi's new baby daughter, Nya, and I thought I should just make it Bea's Easter dress as well.

I was floored when I found the most perfect fabric in the world...trees with environmental expressions underneath and brown fabric with green leaves.  I picked up some light green fabric as well as some green leaf buttons.  I put the dresses together using only a visual from my cousin's blog in about three days and staying up until two in the morning trying to figure out the Velcro that I decided to use instead of button holes(which are a disaster when trying to dress squirmy toddlers. 

I made Nya a wrap dress similar to the one I made for Bea at Christmas, but I made it versatile enough to even almost fit Henry as a shirt, so if it doesn't get eaten by their dog, it should last until she's three or four.  Bea's dress is also a wrap dress and will probably fit her until she's three, I'm hoping.  Don't ask me how I sewed them because I don't even know and they're not perfect at all, but it kind of goes with the organic theme, don't you think:? (please agree with me).  All I know is that they're darn cute and I'm going tomorrow to buy the rest of the fabric with my 50% off coupon!

Bea and Nya were so darling together.  Bea is obsessed with babies and had a blast being around sweet Nya all weekend.  I can't wait until they are running around together like Henry and River do.  Nya never cries and sleeps wherever and whenever.  She's also exceptionally chubby and snuggly so it's easy to fall in love with her.  Nya and my baby girl won't be very far apart in age so the three girls will surely become great friends/sisters. 

4 comments:

Thayer said...

you're becoming quite the seamstress, way to go!

Kyndal said...

Love the dresses! You're so talented. :)

Sarah said...

Impressive. The dresses are adorable!

julie said...

That dress is ADORABLE!!