Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Dress Inspiration from Heaven


I knew I wanted to make a dress for Bea for Christmas and I had already bought the fabric a couple weeks ago and it had been staring me in the face every time I walked into the sewing room(that barely gets used).  I began the dress on Saturday late morning the day before she was supposed to debut it the Sunday before Christmas and I had no idea what I was going to make.  I learned from my good friend Cynthia about just putting something together without a pattern so I started with a band around the middle and the straps over the shoulders and then I had to leave until 11pm on a date with Justin.  While I was on my way to pick up the babysitter I had a revelation about how the dress would look.  My heart was pounding and my adrenaline was pumping.  I didn't even want to go on my date but I couldn't back out.  I came home, began sewing and it all just came together like I was a pro.  I was all but finished with the last details around 2am and it was exactly what I had imagined.  The finishing touches were put on the dress five minutes before we had to leave for church and I ended up tying down the top to the straps and tucking in the corners to make it rounded.  Now it's perfect.  I just love the big pleats.


A few things need to be changed with the design, like it would have been nice if I could have measured Bea before starting or during construction because it was supposed to be more like a wrap dress in the back but I ended up having to sew snaps on the back.  I'll make another and measure it out better.  The idea was that the dress could somewhat adjustable so she could grow with it but it's exactly her size.  Luckily she hasn't grown in about 6 months so maybe she'll be able to wear it for a few more months. 

If you love this dress as much as I do, I'll make you one for a small fee.  I need the sewing practice!


4 comments:

Laurel Dougall said...

wow, amelia--i'm impressed! i could never do that!!! beatrice is SO CUTE. and congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!! lots of love, laurel

ChrisnDave said...

Um, YES PLEASE. Nya needs some cute clothes like this - I have all hand-me-downs that are pretty lame.
Also, what do I need to get you so you can make an ABC Quiet book for me?

sbt said...

That dress is adorable! I'm so impressed you can do that without a pattern - you're amazing! I would not have the first idea how to sew on snaps!

Jodi said...

I'm so impressed your sewing! I'm dying for a sewing machine so I can start creating stuff. How fun to make little girl stuff. She looks so cute in it!