Thursday, August 27, 2009

Eating Bugs


Today Bea ate a giant dead wolf spider that had died as a result of falling into a bin in the basement and was brought up with some toys. Henry found it and was playing with it and the next thing I know, Bea is chewing on it and there are legs everywhere on the ground. That's not the only time she's had a bug snack. I try to show her grasshoppers and Japanese Beetles outside and she picks them up, looks me straight in the eye and puts them in her mouth. Henry thinks it's hilarious. This might make you cringe, but I have always been interested in the prospect of eating bugs. Once I gave my dad a book called "Man Eating Bugs" that was of course about bugs that people eat around the world and people ate some pretty crazy things. I wouldn't hesitate to eat the roasted abdomen of a tarantula. They say it just tastes like a meatball. haha! There is also a dinner in New York where they serve mainly bugs and other strange delicacies from around the world to fancily dressed women and men who are out for an adventure. I would like to be a part of that crowd someday. Hey Justin if you're reading this, that would be an awesome Birthday present, wink, wink. The best story, however, was when I heard a the story of a church speaker talking to some Southeast Asian members about the cricket infestation in the early days of the pioneers and how it was a miracle sent from God that the seagulls came in to gobble them up. Well, I guess they eat crickets on a regular basis over there and didn't think it sounded like much of a miracle. They were all like, "well, why didn't you just eat them?" lol! I just think someday we might one day be in the jungle of Papua New Guinea with the Kombai tribe and will have to eat giant grubs for food or starve. Bea will have a head start on us for sure.

3 comments:

Señora H-B said...

my parents love to tell the story about the time my mom found me eating a large green caterpillar. she was totally grossed out and my dad said, 'meh, it's just extra protein'. either way, a wolf spider!? that is one brave girl.

Laurel Dougall said...

that is so funny, gross, and what i would expect from your progeny, amelia! you've always made me giggle with your gross factor stories! :) laurel

jtingey said...

Eating bugs and getting stung by them will help make Bea a healthy and disease/toxin resistant adult. I think I remember someone else who followed this same pattern...