Saturday, August 30, 2008

Welcome to the world darling daughter



After what seemed to be the longest pregnancy ever Beatrice Isabella Hohl was born on August 23rd at 1am. On the evening of the 22nd while I was finishing up cooking dinner and after a week of hiking, the zoo and rocking out at the Maroon 5 concert, my water broke slightly and after eating I called the hospital and they told me to come on in and have my baby! I packed the rest of my bag, told Justin's parents and Stef and Franklin who were over for dinner and left for the hospital! My contractions didn't start until 9:30 so they sped them up a little with pitocin. Justin and I watched the Olympics on tv while we were waiting for me to dilate more. I was already dilated to a 4 so there wasn't too much more to go. I planned on not having an epidural so I brought my IPOD to listen to my hard-core exercise mix during the contractions. Every time I felt one coming on I imagined myself running on the treadmill at 12 and convinced myself that I could handle the pain for just a few more seconds just like I love the burn of the full out sprint for one minute. It totally worked! The last few contractions, though, were more than I had expected to bear, but our baby girl came just a few minutes after the really painful ones started. When the resident and OB finally came in, I got myself situated and in one contraction I pushed twice and she came out! She was 7lbs 11oz and had brown hair. I expect it'll fall out and grow back in blonde, but basically bald, until she's 5 years old just like her mom!

Bea(pronounced "Bay-uh") is a little more difficult than Henry and has a really intense and frantic gutteral cry. There's really no in-between for her. She's either sleeping or awake screaming for food. Bea is a very hungry baby and when she doesn't get food right away she really lets it go and when her nights and days are mixed up, it makes getting good sleep nearly impossible.
She is just as rigid and stiff as Henry was and can already hold her head up on her own and if I'm not careful she will lift her head up from my shoulder and whack her face on my collarbone. She also has spastic arms that constantly scratch her face and when she gets fed, her hands have to be right there as though she can keep the food there. Henry, her older brother, did the same thing and even right from birth was able to hold his own bottle because of his super rigid hands and arms that I could position to hold it up. I call her my little piglet because she makes little snorts and grunts when she finally gets food and then devours it.

Well, our little girl is finally here and we can't wait to discover who she is! We love you Bea Bella

16 comments:

julie said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful! I loved your post. Way to go on the all natural! Impressive! I will try & call you soon.

tawni said...

Yeah! Congrats! Im impressed you went natural! She is beautiful. Enjoy and cant wait to see more pics!!

Sarah said...

Bea is so cute! I feel like I could cut and copy this entry to my blog. Eva and Bea sound like the same baby! The labor part however was totally different for me. I can't believe you were able to internalize the whole thing. (and watch Olympics on Pitocin!?!) I was totally freaking out the whole time and needed three people talking and touching me through every contraction. You never cease to amaze me.

Jodi said...

yeah! what a cutie! congrats on no epidural! wow. so is Beatrice a family name? i can't wait to hear more about her, how Henry's doing with it, and how you're feeling. do you think the recovery is easier when you didn't have an epidural? i need more details!

Paige said...

Yay! Congrats!! I love how your babies are so fuzzy! Fuzzy newborns are the best. Way to go on giving birth au natural. I'm totally inspired! Love the photos and I can't wait for more!

DCRomney said...

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Can't wait to meet her next weekend!

Tracie said...

I'm so happy to see some photos and read about baby Bea! She is beautiful, and I can't wait to see more of her and meet her! Congrats!!

josh.sandra.ava.davis.ella said...

congratulations!!!! she is gorgeous...what else would we all expect coming from you two!!! can't wait to watch her grow here on her blog...and we hope we'll get to meet her sooner than later! love to your whole beautiful family :)

Julia said...

Congratulations Amelia, she is beautiful! I love her name.

The Muse said...

Thanks for the photos here! I love it! I can't wait to meet her... until then, I'll just keep up with her life and times here. Love you all and miss you-- it was great to talk with you the other day, Amelia! Loves! Meg

Johnny and Angela Dayton said...

Congrats you guys! She is adorable.

Sister Abby Bowler said...

Amelia, (I linked to your blog from Jodi's)
Congratulations on your darling girl! And I love her Italian name! What a darling family!

Love, Ada

Danae said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Bea is exquisite! I wish I could be there to see her in person. I miss you guys.
Danae

Brazil's Girl said...

Congrats on your Bella, I can't wait til my Bella is here, oh 3 more months.I'm ready to have her. I hope she comes early like her brother.

My little nephew was the same way when his brother was born. But they soon get more adjusted and become helpful little guys. You'll see, you have nothing to worry about with Henry. Enjoy your bundle of joy!

Renatha.

Ps: Looks like we're moving to NM, your old stomping ground.

ChrisnDave said...

Yahooooooooooo for au natural! Its the only way to go! Didn't you feel so much better so much quicker! I had some soothing African music CD in the background but I like the intense running music idea! See you soooooooooooon!

The Giles said...

Well Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl! So exciting!!! I love how you used your Ipod to help you through the contractions. Hope you are all doing well.